Tuesday, August 25, 2015

"Home" Video Installation

Home Video Installation, Firenze, Italia 2015

Home presents a video created in response to a large windstorm that hit the Tuscany region of Italy on March 5, 2015. This Intense weather pattern is a mere sign of the increasing impact of climate change internationally. Both people and animals are currently being forced to relocate their homes as a result of global warming, uprooting their cultures, their traditions, and ultimately having to adapt to new environments altogether. This piece shares individual's ideas and the importance of the meaning of the word "home".  

Saturday, May 16, 2015

What is Home? - Spring 2015

This series discusses the idea of what the word "Home" means.  The following sculptures are formed by utilizing materials taken from our natural world and juxtaposing them with man made / manufactured components. This is a search to examine the urgent need for humans to make peace with our planet.

sticks, chain, steel, metal bed springs, brick, dirt, clay, rope, marble, turmeric, flowers, lemons, limes

photos courtesy of Ana Lia Orezzoli

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Zanzara art series in progress

This fall I started a series on the "zanzara," which is how you pronounce the word "mosquito" in italian. In keeping with my upcoming trip to the Arctic Circle next June, this series discusses the role of the mosquito in this region and its impact on the environment due to the increase in rising temperatures. Warmer seasons are coming earlier and lasting longer, and large amounts of mosquitos are rampant in the lower Arctic areas. Entire swarms have been observed surrounding one caribou and sucking enough blood out of it in one day to kill it. THAT is power in numbers.

I started off with these charcoal/pastel sketches below.....

I then moved on to oil paintings on wood, 50 cm x 70 cm in size. Pietro Manzo is a fabulous and outstanding painter here in Firenze, and he was my professor/mentor while creating these paintings.
(You can check out his wonderful work here:  www.pietromanzo.net)

Playing around with the concept of mosquitos as sculptures, I wanted to use materials from
the earth to exhibit how these tiny, fragile creatures have such a strong presence to cause huge damage to our eco system.  Below are three pieces symbolizing this idea.

zanzara #1: travertine, fresh flowers

zanzara #2: marble, fur, tree branch

zanzara #3: travertine, caribou antlers

Dario Arcamone is a super skilled sculptor living in Toscana who mentored me with these pieces. I broke a rock or two while carving and he was always there to walk me through everything and find solutions. 

Daria Filardo (http://www.celesteprize.com/dariafilardo) is a mind blowing curator and art historian who has taught me crazy amounts of information this fall. She really helped me cess out concept issues with this sculpture series.  

I also worked closely with John Taylor - an exceptional person/academic/sculptor and will continue to do so this spring in prepping for the Arctic residency. 

Again, this series is in progress, so I will post more next spring as additional pieces come together.
Thanks for checking it out! 

Friday, October 24, 2014

London / The Frieze Art Fair

Quick trip to London last week for the Frieze Art Fair - it was fantastic seeing the top galleries in their field representing artists from regions worldwide: Antwerp, Berlin, San Paulo, Shanghai, Romania, Istanbul, and many more.....here are a few photos from the fair below. Also to note: I  trecked to the National Gallery and viewed "Rembrandt, The Late Works", the National Portrait Gallery for the "The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered," and the Tate Modern to see the Sigmar Polke and Kazimir Malevich exhibitions. I highly recommend the Malovich! I saved my favorite for last: Nicola Samori's solo show at the Rosenfeld Porcini Gallery - the work was outstanding. 

Friday, October 10, 2014

Reasons I adore Firenze :)

I should preface this post by saying that it seems everywhere I have lived I have actually loved it. Portland, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Minnesota, and Amsterdam. But now I have to confess I am having a love affair with Florence. People have asked me what I love about it, so I'm going to start posting reasons why.....starting off with my simple afternoon and evening soloing it around my neighborhood (with a cold to boot). I ventured into the Uffizi museum for inspiration: studied a Botticelli, Rembrandt, Lippi, and Michelangelo all for quite some time.... Then grabbed some minestrone soup to feed my cold, which happened to be on the cobblestone street outside one of the oldest prisons (not anymore) in Florence dating back to the 1200's where there were hangings and beheadings on that block due to political and religious reasons. (Meanwhile people were drinking wine/eating dinner listening to Leonard Cohen on the outside speakers tonight.) Followed some nuns down the alley on my way home, finally passing the Basilica of Santa Croce where Michelangelo and Galileo are both buried. (Frida and I pass it on our morning walks and always say hello to them as we venture by.) So that's the first post.....more to come!

Sunday, October 5, 2014

New Art Studio in Firenze.........

Here are some quick photos of my new art studio - I am just moving in and I think Frida digs it as much as I do - check out the gorgeous ceiling! Doesn't get much better :)